The genesis of this blog’s name is the divide that typically exists between strategy and execution. I’ve operated on both sides as a technologist and business exec; the most exciting times occur when strategy and execution exist in harmony. I am a strong believer in combining data and analysis with technological innovation to solve today’s problems. No one has ever accused me of not bringing market-based information or being afraid of the details in my decision-making. Home is just outside Boston, Massachusetts.
My primary focus is on the go-to-market side of enterprise software / technology infrastructure. This spans strategy, product marketing, community and partner marketing, business development, alliances and channels, sales enablement, and demand generation. A particular passion is creating and launching new products. I’m happiest in a creative fast-moving setting; I have been a founder, worked at a startup that raised $ 140 MM, and started a SaaS business within a $ 1 BN organization (so I am not against big companies). My formal higher education is a Harvard MBA and MS / BS Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Visit my LinkedIn page for all the details.
Some interesting things I’ve done:
- Merged 5 point-solution offerings into an integral solution suite as basis for competitive differentiation (footprint and architecture)
- Created lead nurturing funnel and aligned marketing campaigns, collateral architecture, sales tools, inside sales, and field marketing to improve conversion rates
- Developed Web 2.0 solution requirements, marketing programs, and go-to-market model targeting SMBs
- Created lead generation campaigns (targeting executives and end users) for new customers as well as cross-selling into existing customer base
- Developed next generation sales methodologies and tools to sell higher and wider at target companies
- Managed the requirements to convert an on-premise enterprise software solution to a true, multi-tenant SaaS offering
- Established a channel partner sales model for SaaS and launched in the US and Europe
- Built organizations around new offerings, recruited successful team members, and mentored them to the next step in their careers
- Created a partner Certification program / community for both business and technical roles
- Drove vertical application strategy and marketing to better sell core platform offering
- Created strategy to maximize revenues across multiple product lines (linking target markets against existing resource readiness and investments to fill gaps)
- Performed strategic and technical analysis that lead to a $ 2 BN acquisition
- Started my own venture and did anything and everything required (and worried about making payroll)
I grew up in a non-traditional military family (e.g., we never lived on a base) and my father flew F4s in the Air Force. Our family did the requisite moving every few years (Wisconsin, California, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Spain, Hawaii, Virginia, Belgium). It was great for all the reasons that some people don’t like to move very often. I attended high school at the last two locations and worked summers at the Embassy in Brussels. Athletically, I played tennis at a very high level in Europe and was an All-American in college. A ten-year hiatus has found me spending much more time trying to become a respectable ice hockey player.
Technology platforms, cloud / SaaS, Web 2.o, inbound marketing, Sales 2.0, business applications, leading edge innovations, playing sports (ice hockey, tennis, golf, and triathlons), Red Sox, eating spicy foods, craft beers, and making sure I visit at least one interesting tourist site on a business trip.